Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
You need advice while restoring your Magnette or it makes unknown noises since the last outing? And you haven't found the answer on our tech-website? Ask the experts around the world!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Choice of needles for H4 Carb in 1800 MGB 3-main

Choice of needles for H4 Carb in 1800 MGB 3-main 11 years 2 months ago #21

• clacksman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Right, so you have the No.5 needles. These hardly differ from my MBs, except between stations 3 to 7 where mine are actually marginally leaner.

Really not much difference. Very interesting. Thanks Günter

Regards,

Andy
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Choice of needles for H4 Carb in 1800 MGB 3-main 11 years 2 months ago #20

• admin
Andy,

no I mean standard needles for early MGB. I have the 3 brg engine as it was a direct swap (nearly)
Günter

Choice of needles for H4 Carb in 1800 MGB 3-main 11 years 2 months ago #19

• clacksman
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Günter,

I take it you mean standard needles for the ZB(EQ)rather than standard for MGB (5). If so, then I am running much richer than you at wider throttle with my MB needles. I am surprised you can use the EQs - but perhaps I should try them!

My car is much quieter since I fitted the 5-speed box. I was already using the 4.3:1 diff before I changed the gearbox and that seemed an ideal combination with the old 1489 engine. Now that I have fitted the 1800 engine I think a 3.9:1 diff would be even better, so I have acquired one. However, if I fit it now, the speedo will be wrong again and I have only just succeeded in getting it properly calibrated. I had to send the speedo to Richfield twice before they got it right!

Andy

Choice of needles for H4 Carb in 1800 MGB 3-main 11 years 2 months ago #18

• admin
Hi Andy,

I have nearly the same modifications you use, except the gearbox. I use standard needles in my carbs and I'm happy with it. 80mph is quite fast, isn't it? I wonder what you have done against the noise? I think my car gets too noisy after 70 or 75 mls.

Günter

Choice of needles for H4 Carb in 1800 MGB 3-main 11 years 2 months ago #17

• clacksman
  • Expert Boarder
I am using H4 carbs on my 1800 MGB engine. I am also using Trevor Jones' Derrington style exhaust header with 47mm pipe, Ford T9 5-speed gearbox and currently, an MGA 4.3:1 diff. I may change this for a 3.9:1 at some stage.

After some on-line research I have used MB needles which give plenty of acceleration right up to 80+. My Gunson Colourtune tells me the mixture is OK at tickover and moderate throttle but I suspect that it is too rich at wider throttle.

I know that the only reliable method is to use a rolling road dynamometer and compare needles but this is expensive and probably not justifiable for my type of driving. So I thought I would ask what needles other Magnette owners with similar setups are using.

I would be interested to hear from any Magnette owner who is using an H4 carb with the MGB 1800 engine whether or not they have the other mods that I am using.

Regards,

Andy

110222_171123_1.jpg
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds