Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
You need advice while restoring your Magnette or it makes unknown noises since the last outing? And you haven't found the answer on our tech-website? Ask the experts around the world!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Brake light switch ? Is it the culprit?

Brake light switch ? Is it the culprit? 8 years 4 months ago #646

• David.H
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks Chris I will check that out. The Reversing light may be the bulb, but as I had to make up a feed/connection for the base of the reversing light (critical bits missing!) I will have a poke around that as well!
David
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Brake light switch ? Is it the culprit? 8 years 4 months ago #645

• C.S.J.
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Check both sides of the switch with a volt meter to earth, if they both show 12v the switch is at fault. Is the reverse light problem just a bulb?
The brake light switches are available from Moss (early sprite) and yes you will have to bleed the system after installing the new switch.
Hope this is some help.

Chris

Brake light switch ? Is it the culprit? 8 years 4 months ago #643

• David.H
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
My brake lights (both) are lit permanently when the ignition is on.
No obvious short...all wires at the switch correctly fitted. The switch is Hot to the touch, so something is not well! I am loth to chuck the old switch...it has been there faithfully for 60 years, but maybe it's time has come.
Before I spend money, is there anything else to look for?
I notice that one wire goes off to the reversing light as (I think) it's live feed.
I got the reversing light working a few months ago...it no longer works!
Is the culprit possibly a short in the reversing circuit or could a similar fault in the brake light circuit upset the Reversing light? If the reversing light was on permanently it might make more sense to me, but I am not good with electrics!
If/when I have to replace the brake light switch (I will have to find a proper screw connector one) will I have to bleed the brakes?
David
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds